Notary Public Service Policy
The Sparta Public Library offers Notary services for the benefit of the community. The following guidelines will be observed in the provision of Notary service:
- Library Notaries are scheduled during library hours of operation. Notary service is not available during the 20 minutes before closing.
- It is recommended that patrons call the library to ensure that a Notary is available when they plan to visit.
- Notary service is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Notary service is provided free of charge to Sparta Library card holders. For those without a card, the fee is $2.50 charge per Notary signature.
- Valid (government-issued) photo identification is required for everyone requesting notary service.
- Notary service is limited to three (3) documents per person, per visit.
- The Sparta Library will not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from among other patrons. To serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose documents are being notarized and must present a valid photo identification.
- Documents in any language other than English cannot be notarized here.
- Notaries many not notarize blank forms.
- New Jersey requires that a Notary and the person seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator in a transaction with a Notary patron.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples are United States birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates.
- Notary service is not available for deeds, codicils, or depositions.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the patron, document, or circumstances of the request for Notary service raise any issued of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty for the Library. In the event, Notaries may, at their sole discretion, decline to provide Notary service.
For other Notary options:
Township and County Clerks